Welcome to My Life

Hi ya'll, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading my posts about my life, reviews of books, and whatever comes to mind. Please look around and let me know that you've been here. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Christian Mam's Guide to Parenting a Toddler review

Oh how I wish I had this book when D was younger lol. A lot of what Erin MacPherson writes about I can still use with him, since sometimes he acts like the toddler instead of the preschooler I think that he is. But since we have A who has just turned 5 months, I can use it to prepare for her :)

Here's some info from the publisher about the book:


Book Description

What's a mom to do when her sweet baby's smiles and snuggles turn to tears and tantrums? This take on everything toddler—from throwing food to potty training to massive toddler fits—is filled with sanity-saving advice every mom wants to hear. Helpful tips include how to:
  • stop a tantrum in its tracks (or at least survive the tantrum without breaking into tears of your own)
  • discipline your child in a way that demonstrates Christ's redeeming love
  • make your marriage a priority when your kid is a squeaky wheel that always seems to need your time and attention
  • introduce your child to Jesus in a way that leads to authentic faith
  • convince a one-and-a-half year old that broccoli really is better than cookies—even if you don't believe it yourself
Moms will be entertained and encouraged by the amusing anecdotes and godly advice of this comprehensive, topical approach to parenting one and two year olds.

 I really liked the chapter on getting them to eat. D had and continues to have some issues with certain foods. Mainly a texture thing that we've tried to work on and he was in Occupational therapy for. I love that he loves to eat veggies, but would love if he ate fruit too. I need to try more of her Ten almost surefire meals that include: Polka-Dot Pasta with peas in it and monster noodles with broccoli, both of which he does like to eat.

We still have bedtime battles with D (thank goodness we don't with A yet). Most of her suggestions in that chapter we've tried, but there are a few things that we may have some luck with like the routine she uses with getting bedtime started early and letting him wind down on his own (which sometimes can take forever).

I am going to try using the tips she has for dealing with tantrums in public (we still have lots of those) such as: keeping goldfish crackers or some other snack in my bag to feed the boy and keep him mouth busy (so to speak).

Chapter seven offers ways to help you and your toddler learn. She offers sections on helping them learn about science, music and art. Such great ideas I wish I had when we were working with D. But I still can use plenty of them.

In each chapter there is a section called Time out For mom which has a verse or two that relates to the chapter along with a prayer. Awesome to help you locate some scripture to deal with some of those silly tantrums. 

I think this book is going to come in handy a lot for us when A gets to be in those silly toddler years and there is still plenty of stuff that we can use with D. But this is a great book with awesome ideas to help you deal with the silly toddler and making their life and yours a bit easier.

 I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com® <http://BookSneeze.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...