Welcome to My Life

Hi ya'll, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading my posts about my life, reviews of books, and whatever comes to mind. Please look around and let me know that you've been here. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Pocket Therapist and a giveaway

I was given the chance to receive a copy of The Pocket Therapist by Therese J Borchard from Hachette Book group. Now as having a degree in Psychology and also suffering from Dysthymia (a form of depression) I thought it would be a great chance to read this book. Therese has great insight from her many years of her own work and own therapy. You can find more out about Therese here at her page. The basic info about the book is this:

Whenever Therese Borchard was weathering a personal storm, and help was nowhere to be found, her one guiding light was the question, "What would a therapist say?" The result was a sort of therapy scrapbook for rough days--a quick reference for anyone who needs a dose of encouragement, support and tried and true ways to cope.

THE POCKET THERAPIST is a compact and accessible guide filled with techniques and advice to help combat everything from addictive behavior to negative thinking.

While reading through her book I found that many of her 'tips' I could relate to or even apply to my crazy life. She calls them her "emotional CliffsNotes".  I, of course have page flags on my favorite ones.   Like "Learn how to talk" which is about learning how to get your voice, and how she learned to use "I statements". I could relate since I do have a fear of speaking to others at times. Not sure where it comes from, but I have it. And having a step-father like mine doesn't help, seeing as he didn't listen to what I'd say or if he did would totally make it into something entirely different. (Not sure if it was the alcohol when he was drinking or the fact that he has several mental issues now that just makes it hard for him to process). A couple of other favorites for me "Anticipate exceptions" and "Allow room for Accidents" which can really be used in almost any military relationship since we can hardly ever have plans for our lives. I love how many tips she has, there are so many that anyone can read and find hope in. Also the way that Therese has set up the book makes it to search for what applies to you at that moment and read about her experiences.

Well I'm going to attempt to host my first giveaway. I'm able to give away copy of her book "The Pocket Therapist". So if you are interested in getting a copy of your own "emotional CliffNotes" enter by one of these ways:

1. Leave a comment here about why you might like a copy.
2. Follow me on Twitter
3. "Like" my page on Facebook
4. Follow me on Google Friend Connect.

Leave a comment for every one that you do and I'll chose the winner by random.org on May 8. So enter by midnight May 7. A couple of rules by the company with this giveaway are:

-Only residents of the U.S. or Canada are eligible to win
-No P.O. Boxes, please.

Hope you enjoyed this review, I'm still a newbie at all of this and any feedback is greatly appreciated as well. Have a great day.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I've been on medication for depression in the past. It would be great to have a resource to turn to when I have "one of those days". I don't think it's bad enough to warrant Rx again, just need a little boost every now & then. :)

Jessica said...

I'm following you on twitter: @fringies

Wisconsin Parent said...

Wow! Cutest WW I've seen in a while. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...