Fitness Confidential- Adventures in weight-loss game by
American’s Angriest trainer Vinnie Tortorich
He’s trained Hollywood types, people of all ages, sexes and
other things as well, and has been around the weight-loss/fitness world for a
bit so it seems. He’s got a new book- Fitness Confidential- about how to go
about getting healthy and fit.
I feel bad that I’ve never heard of him before reading this
book, but the first chapter gives a nice overview of his work and education and
the types of people he works with (wish I had the money to hire him, maybe then
I’d not fail as often with my goals, but that’s a whole other topic.) He has podcasts out there for you to check out, which sound awesome and I hope to listen!
There are several comments that he makes in the book that
really stand out for me, he called one of them a Vinnie-ism. “If you want me to
tell you the truth- I’m going to have to lie.” He also said that when he meets
with clients he says “Your good intentions have been stolen and I’m here to
help you get them back.” I really love that way of looking at weight loss
because it has been an ongoing issue for me for many years. He also says in the chapter about obesity,
while talking about how his grandparents and parents ate, that when he’s asked
about the secret to a diet, he tells them DON’T!!!
He brings up that our bodies react differently to different
kinds of calories and that’s why the ‘calories in, calories out’ theory doesn’t
work. Stay away from sugar and grains. I
will admit that I have a hard time with both of these. I love bread. Like a whole
lot. Something that I need to think about if I want to lose weight and be
healthy.
He goes in to the mechanics and basics of things like
sugars, grains, fats etc., which was very helpful because it was simple and
easy to understand (not saying that I’ve not heard it before, but Vinnie makes
it sound new and easier for me to process). Vinnie goes into breaking down
myths that I’ve believed that eating things high in fat (meats and cheese and
bacon) are bad. He talks about how the media and companies wanting to sell
products make their stuff sound awesome, or things that are against their
products bad. Never really thought of it that way, but it is so true. As he
states in his book, he’s not here to sell a diet or product, he wants to make
people fit and healthy (Clients can’t write me a check if they’re dead.) Diets
don’t need to make us suffer; if you’re suffering you’re doing something wrong.
I know I don’t like to feel deprived of something.
He gives some insight into what he went through as a kid,
getting picked on and bullied until he started working out, thanks to a commercial
with Jack Lalanne on it. He wanted to get fit and it even helped him to get on
a football team in middle school (the only 7th grader). He said that we can become soft and cushiony
like a couch if we spend our time on a couch, which is so true! He offers some
advice about what may go on when you are scouting out gyms and fitness clubs
(think used car salesmen lol).
Vinnie talks about a few exercise books and offers up
suggestions about why you want to work out. The writing is so easy it feels
like he’s talking to you as a friend and you cannot feel ashamed of being overweight.
He offers very friendly insight and makes the book a very easy read. I plan on
using this as I plan my goals for the New Year, since he offers many ideas
about food and diet that I’ve not thought about. If you’re ready to get on
track for the New Year, take a read of Vinnie’s book and he’ll hopefully open
your eyes and help you along the way. He is so honest and open that you'd wish you could have him as a trainer too.

No comments:
Post a Comment