Welcome to My Life

Hi ya'll, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy reading my posts about my life, reviews of books, and whatever comes to mind. Please look around and let me know that you've been here. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day has gone

And thank goodness for that. I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day. Haven't been in quite a while. It used to be because I spent so many years alone on the holiday. But then I realized that it's just a stupid holiday that business' such as Walmart, Pro Flowers, Hallmark try to use so that people will spend money to show their affection towards someone else. (Can you see that I was bitter because I didn't receive a Valentine for many years). And I still hold true to the fact. Plus it costs money that plenty of people in today's economy do not have. If you want to tell/show someone you love them, why not do it every day. Why not do it in inexpensive ways? Don't feel like you have to be forced into buying a bunch of pink/red items to tell someone you care about them one day a year, just do it every day.

As I talked with my dear friend on last Thursday's show of Enlisted Spouse Radio about this topic, she mentioned to me about a couple that does a check up of sorts on their marriage for Valentine's Day. I thought this was a wonderful idea. Taking an assessment of how things are going with your relationship would be a great way to see how you both feel about things, and to see if there are areas that need improving. While yes, it is hard to talk about things in a relationship at times, wouldn't it be great to 'look under the hood' and make sure that everything is running smoothly, and if not discuss ways to try to fix it? I know that is something I am working towards. I'm finally going to read Red Hot Monogamy by Bill and Pam Farrel. (I've had the book for years, so I might as well read it). Maybe that can be the maintance for our marriage this year.

But all in all, while I may not be a fan of Valentine's Day, it's still a holiday that many people choose to celebrate. It may help some people to say what they can't say at any other time. I, personally, am not a fan of pink or red, so I really hate going to the store and seeing the colors and look forward to when it's over and Spring and Easter stuff arrive. But I hope that you had a wonderful day with your significant other (if they were home) or that you were told how loved and treasured you are.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...